Friday, June 1, 2012

Who's On First Principles of Effective Cross Examination?

Sometimes propositional communication is too much of a good thing and even the best trial lawyer can get derailed by a stout Irish bull: (Taken from the transcripts of courtroom testimony in the infamous defamation action brought by the Wolfman v. Abbott & Costello, 256 F.2d 58 (1962) What follows is the notorious cross examination of Lou Costello by Jack Lettman, the attorney for the Wolfman:) Q: Are you prepared to tell the truth in these matters today, Mr. Costello? A: I've not done any preparation for this. Q: Have you lived here all of your life? A: Not yet. Q: You seem to have a bit of a speech impediment; what is the nature of that? A: I'ts really hard to say. Q: Could you explain further? A: I'ts also hard to tell. Q: Are you confident in your prior testimony? A: I'm not sure. Q: Why did you retract parts of your earlier testimony? A: I was nonplussed. Q: Should I say your earlier testimony was self-serving? A: Help yourself! Q: No, I mean your testimony was....look, can I ask you a simple question? A: Sure, ask a harder one now. Q: Do you mind if I ask you a rhetorical question? A: Well, if I give a false response, would it be considered perjury? Q: Only if it's not responded to under oath. A: Alright. In that case, go ahead and ask another one. Q: Mr. Costello, have you now or have you ever been a Communist? A: What's Joe McCarthy got to do with this? Q: Well, do you support the overthrow of the US government by force or violence? A: Ahhh.....violence! Q: You answered differently in your prior testimony. A: You're asking was I lying then or am I lying now? Q: Don't confuse the issue. Just answer the question. A: Please ask me a different one! Q: Now you're begging the question. That won't work here. A: I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may increment myself. Q: Just answer all at once, please. A: I've forgotten what I wasn't going to say. Q: Do you need the Court to refresh your recollection? A: No, I'm not tired at all. Q: Your honor, I'd like a recess at this point! A: Aren't you a little too old for that? --And so on, and so on, and so on....The case was ultimately thrown out of Court for containing too much hearsay and innuendo. Interesting sidenote: the great Kim Novak (pictured) was all set to be a character witness for the plaintiff, although her testimony turned out to not be needed after all.

No comments: